BSc, MA, Registered Psychotherapist (Qualifying) for Adults, Couples, Young Adults, Youth & Children in Guelph & Online
My office address is:
147 Wyndham St N Suite 407
Guelph, ON N1H 4E9
I am located in Guelph, and work with clients throughout Ontario (and beyond) in an online therapy (phone or video) setting.
Get your free 20-minute consultation to see if you think we are the right people to help you.
If you’re reading this, there’s a good chance that you or someone you love is suffering in some way. But the good news is that things will get better, and I hope to help you (or them) get to better times.
I work mainly with young adults, youth, and children, and have for the past decade (and it’s been the best decade of my life so far). The challenges we work on include depression, anxiety, childhood trauma, coping with life changes, and many more.
If any of those age groups describes you or someone you love who could use a friendly ear and a helping hand, you may find (as my clients and I have) that art therapy, play therapy, or family therapy modalities (like dyadic developmental psychotherapy) – or some combination – can help.
As a therapist, I have training in and enjoy continually learning more about developmental psychology, neuroscience, and psychotherapy in general. I am also familiar with talk-modalities like CBT, DBT, EFT, narrative, existential, solution-focused brief therapy, and spiritually-integrated psychotherapy, which also can help clients who are interested.
For younger clients, my less-verbal techniques can be helpful. Complex or painful emotions can be hard to put into words – for adults and especially for children – and so play often offers an easier and fuller way to communicate. I practice non-directive play therapy, and use the play therapy room (virtually, during COVID) to create a safe relationship and opportunity for children to express themselves freely, develop autonomy, and work through difficult thoughts and emotions.
In my experience, and according to research, the biggest factor in how well therapy works is the client-therapist relationship. That’s one reason you can expect me to be genuine, empathetic, positive, and affirming. Also, I don’t have a “one size fits all” approach to therapy. Instead, I will work with you to custom-fit a therapy experience based on your unique needs and expressed concerns.
I’ll get to know you soon enough, but what am I like as a person? I have been described as a “human Labrador.” I’m a people person in general, and have a particular rapport with young people, with all their potential, curiosity, and enthusiasm – whether those qualities are have been realized or stifled. That often comes out in talking about or “geeking out” about creative pursuits and hobbies – some of which we probably have in common.
I believe people are generally good and try their best amidst often unfair and extremely difficult circumstances. That’s why my approach to therapy is all about you, your family, and/or your child, and helping you see your – or each other’s – best qualities and strengths again.
- MA. Spiritual Care and Psychotherapy
- BSc. Psychology, Neuroscience, and Behaviour (Mental Health Specialization)
- Ministerial Diploma
License, Certifications & Awards
- Qualifying Registered Psychotherapist with the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario(CRPO)
- Student member with The Canadian Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (pursuing full RMFT)
- Student member with the Canadian Art Therapy Association (pursuing full RCAT)
- Student member with the Canadian Association for Play Therapy (pursuing full CPT)
- EFT with Couples
- Directive and Non-Directive Play Therapy
- Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy (DDP) Level 1
- Storytelling with Superheroes in Play Therapy
- Using Pop Culture in Play Therapy & Counseling
- Family Ties: Using Family Play Therapy to Loosen Binds and Strengthen Bonds
- Playing while Black: Addressing Racial Trauma in the Play Therapy Setting
- Co-Regulation in Family Play Therapy: Applications of Polyvagal Therapy
- Theraplay Modules 1-3 (June-July)
- EMDR Therapy and Theraplay: Healing Complex Trauma & Attachment Wounds (June)
- Specialized Expressive Arts Training Program (SEAT) – Eco Therapy Focus (Upcoming Sept-Nov)